Aimee Wheeler, PsyD
When her son was born, Aimee found herself in uncharted waters. She knew she wanted to be a different type of parent than her parents had been. After years of self-exploration, she felt she had healed a lot of her childhood emotional wounds and that she could be a good mother but she didn't really know how to parent differently. She went to Mommy and Me classes, breastfeeding groups, you name it, searching to fill a void she initially could not identify. They were all helpful but not what she felt she was longing for. She realized she was...
Read more >>
Her educational background in psychology had nurtured her tremendous curiosity about the impact and importance of infant attachment. Her research in this area had equipped her with a conscious sieve to help evaluate the overwhelming amount of parenting advice available. What she found was that at a time of total vulnerability, parents are often taught parenting techniques that cause them to unwittingly undermine this important and essential bond.
The Center provides a safe and supportive environment for exploring the emotions and challenges faced by new parents. They are also here to help peoople understand the importance of attachment and help parents build a conscious bond with their baby based upon their individual family's values and lifestyle.
- Parenting from the Inside Out by Daniel Siegel and Mary Hartzell
- Parent Effectiveness Training: The Proven Program for Raising Responsible Children by Thomas Gordon
- Playful Parenting by Lawrence J. Cohen
- Why We Do What We Do: Understanding Self-Motivation by Edward L. Deci and Ryan Flaste
- Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent, by Meredith F. Small
- NurtureShock: New Thinking About Children by Po Bronson and Ashley Merryman
- Sleeping with Your Baby: A Parent's Guide to Cosleeping by James McKenna
- Kids, Parents and Power Struggles by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka
- What's Going On In There: How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life by Lise Elliot, PhD
- Unconditional Parenting: Moving from Rewards and Punishments to Love and Reason by Alfie Kohn
- Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys by Dan Kindlon and Michael Thompson
- Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls by Mary Pipher