Elaine Gordon, PhD
Elaine Gordon is a Clinical Psychologist with a specialty in infertility, child development, reproductive medicine, and third party family building. Besides her role as a therapist and group facilitator working with patients struggling with infertility related issues, she lectures on various topics surrounding the psychological and ethical issues of contemporary family building. Dr. Gordon is the author of Mommy, Did I grow in your Tummy? Where Many Babies Come From a children’s book dedicated to explaining a child’s unique reproductive...
Read more >>
Her professional associations include The American Psychological Association, The American Society for Reproductive Medicine and The American Fertility Association. She has served, as the educational chair for the Psychological Special Interest Group of the ASRM, is a member of the educational committee of ASRM. She has served on various committees regarding many aspects of reproductive medicine. Dr. Gordon’s clinical work involves individual therapy, group process for couples and individuals, staff training for programs involved in reproductive medicine and third party screening and evaluations for all participants.
Dr. Gordon is well versed in both the medical and psychological aspects of reproductive medicine utilizing third parties. Her involvement in egg donation and surrogacy programs has stimulated an interest in the issues surrounding secrecy and disclosure in third party parenting. Related to the disclosure/nondisclosure issue is the need to assess the advantages and disadvantages of open versus closed donation policies. She lectures on disclosure policies and how you talk to children about non-traditional family building with the focus being the best interest of the child.
Throughout her career as a psychologist she has become increasingly concerned about the ethical and moral dilemmas inherent in growing field of reproductive medicine. She has co-authored a chapter entitled "Legal and Ethical Aspects of Infertility Counseling" in the textbook Infertility Counseling: A Comprehensive Handbook for Clinicians. Dr. Gordon is currently involved in several research projects investigating the psychological implication of using egg and or sperm donation as a means of building families. She continues to work with other professionals in establishing a ‘standard of care” policy for the infertility patient and third party participants.
Books Written By This Expert
- Hope and Will Have a Baby by Irene Celcer
- Before You Were Born; Our Wish For a Child by Janice Grimes
- A Tiny Itsy Bitsy Gift of Life, An Egg Donor Story by Carmen Martinez Jover
- Butterflies and Magicial Wings by Amy Margolis
- Mommy Was Your Tummy Big? by Carolina Nadel
- How Babies and Families are Made: There is More Than One Way by Patricia Schaffer
- Flight of the Stork: What Children Think (and When) About Sex and Family Building by Anne Bernstein
- Choosing Assisted Reproduction: Social, Emotional & Ethical Considerations by Susan Cooper
- Having Your Baby through Egg Donation by Ellen Sarasohn Glazer
- The Long Awaited Stork: A Guide to Parenting after Infertility by Ellen Sarasohn Glazer