First aid for possible poisoning

Richard Pass, RN, shares advice for parents on what to do if you think your child may have accidentally ingested a poisonous material
Pediatric First Aid - Child Possibly Poisoned
KidsInTheHouse the Ultimate Parenting Resource
Kids in the House Tour

First aid for possible poisoning

Comment
524
Like
524
Transcription: 
Well, the accidental ingestion of poisonous materials is a rising concern for parents and other care providers. Babies and children are curious, they will often try and swallow whatever is available to them. They don’t understand what is and isn’t dangerous. We have stopped – for some years now – inducing vomiting in the pediatric population, feeling that it’s not a safe procedure to use at home. So we would like that small child to come to the emergency room as quickly as possible. You may also – if the event is something not that serious – simply try calling poison control in your local area. But in many cases a direct trip to the emergency room may be the most reasonable and appropriate for that baby or child.

Richard Pass, RN, shares advice for parents on what to do if you think your child may have accidentally ingested a poisonous material

Transcript

Expert Bio

More from Expert

Richard Pass, RN

Registered Nurse & CPR Expert

Richard Pass, RN, BS, was born in Los Angeles. He studied nursing in Portland, Oregon and has since practiced nursing for 35 years, including ICU, Emergency, and Cardiology nursing. Richard started his CPR & Family Safety educational company, Save a Little Life, Inc., in 1999. With Save a Little Life, Inc., Richard presents house calls and classes all over the Los Angeles area. He teaches medical-surgical nursing at California State University, and is married with two grown children and one grandchild.

More Parenting Videos from Richard Pass, RN >
Enter your email to
download & subscribe
to our newsletter